Spinal Stabilization Exercises To Reduce Lower Back Pain
But in case of serious pain, a doctor should always be consulted. People with any kind of spinal injuries or orthopedic conditions should also consult a doctor before doing any exercises. Very senior adults or people with heart conditions should also be careful about exercises and only perform exercises recommended by a doctor.
Some Lumbar Spine Stabilization Exercises:
These are some exercises to strengthen the muscles of the back that support the spine and reduce the severity of back pain.
- Hamstring stretching-This is a common stretching exercise with multi-faceted benefits including increased strength and flexibility in the spinal muscles. The patient has to lie down straight on the ground with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Then slowly start lifting one foot upwards towards the ceiling by supporting the thigh of that leg with both hands. Hold the position for 10 seconds and then slowly lower the leg. Repeat this process 3 times for each leg.
- Pelvic tilt– this is another common spinal stabilization exercise. In this exercise, the person starts off in a similar position lying on the ground with their feet on the floor and knees bent upwards. Then the person has to try to contract their abdominal muscles to lie back more firmly on the floor and then bend the pelvis slightly upwards. This position can be maintained for around 10 seconds. The whole process can be repeated 3 times.
- Arm/leg raises– this exercise is slightly more complex, but also very useful for spinal stabilization. The person has to first go on their hands and knees on the floor. Then while keeping one hand firmly on the ground they will move the other arm straight outwards in front of them, the opposite leg will also be raised as straight as possible. This process should be repeated around 5 times on each side. Each time the opposing hands and legs will be raised in the air.
- Exercise ball bridge exercise– this exercise involves an exercise bridge. The person will start with their knees bent and their foot propped up on the exercise ball while they lay on the floor with their arms to the side. Then the person will slowly tighten their core muscles to raise their buttocks 2 to 3 inches from the ground. Keeping the unstable ball in place with the help of their body adds an extra layer of difficulty and intensity to this sort of spinal exercise.
- Aerobic exercises– one of the most important methods for spinal stabilization involves cardiovascular training or aerobic exercises. These include activities like walking, cycling, and swimming. But these exercises are not suitable for all kinds of people of all ages. Age-specific aerobic exercises are recommended by doctors for spinal stabilization.
- Flexibility building/stretching– flexibility building and stretching exercises are very important for people who are exercising for spinal stabilization. These exercises make it easier for the spine to attain a neutral position and removes unnecessary stress on the spine, thereby reducing stiffness and discomfort. The neutral position is when the spine is in its exact biometrically optimal position. Only licensed physiotherapists can teach patients about biometrically neutral positions.
Patients who suffer regularly from back pain need to take proper care of their spine to avoid further deterioration of the spine. X-rays and MRIs may be needed to monitor the present condition of the spine. Doctors sometimes recommend that patients visit physiotherapists in order to learn some proper exercise techniques for their spine health. Physiotherapy sessions, medications, and a good exercise regimen at home can successfully manage lower back pain in a large number of patients who suffer from the problem.
The exercises listed above are just a few easy methods to reduce back pain and discomfort at home. These will strengthen the muscles surrounding the spine and provide it added support and flexibility as the person moves about and completes their activities throughout the day.
You may also read: Meticore Review- Can This Help To Increase Your Body Metabolism Rate?